Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Out of Class Presentation

For my out of class presentation I was able to see my family down in Las Vegas last weekend. I had all of my siblings and their spouses there as well as my parents. Their ages ranged from 20-63. Some had a little bit of a college background and some never went on past high school. Their work background ranges from landscaping to front desk at the MGM and even pharmacy tech to building maintenance. 

For my speech I had them all gathered around after a Sunday dinner while all the kids ran off to play outside so as not to disrupt this time. I talked to them about the effects of soft drink beverages, soda. I started off by asking some questions; who would want to drink something that would lower your pH levels? Lower your immune system? or even something that would lead to gaining weight?

Of course none of them said they would but I told them that they already have. Soda is one of the most consumed beverages. I then explained what our pH levels are and what they mean. Soda is the most acidic drink that you can consume which lowers your pH level. Your body always wants to stay at an equilibrium. A state at which your levels are at normal. If you throw something in the mix, it imbalances those levels and it drops your pH level.

I explained how the body reacts and what it does to get back to an equilibrium. Some of them already knew what soda can do to you. My mother agreed with me because she has quit drinking soda for about a decade. 

I then transitioned into what it does to the immune system because it is already lowering levels in your body which need to stay at a normal range. Some of them knew this because my mom has shared the information she already knew with the family. It brought a reminder to some of them and the importance of trying to drink more water. Although some still drink it from time to time and some don't worry too much because they felt they were alright.

Then I transitioned into my last segment of the speech with weight gaining from it. They were told of the links and connections with gaining weight and how our body can not break down the fake sugars in soda.

After collecting all of my survey papers I calculated my data. Based on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. No surprise I got some 10 but that is probably because some of them wanted to be nice. I wish that I would have explained a little better on the rating so they could have given me their complete and honest answer. My weak points from what they rated me was the use of filler words: "like," and "umm." I also could have been more clear in my explaining so they could completely understand. It helped my understand and try to get out of my comfort zone when all eyes are on me. It was a fun experience for both my family and me. They were willing to help me out with my school work.


No comments:

Post a Comment